Toggle Menu
Toggle Menu
St Mary Magdalene
Mozart Double Bill: Der Schauspieldirektor & Bastien und Bastienne

St Mary Magdalene - South Molton

We love that we get to travel round and visit all these gorgeous churches and the Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene in South Molton is no exception, with its stunning acoustics and beautiful surroundings.  

The evening is a charity fundraising event and will raise money for the Church Protect Appeal, dedicated to preserving the Parish Church for the future use of the local community. It is supported by the Two Moors Festival, the renowned music festival, and is a primary venue for Destination South Molton.

Join us here on SATURDAY 30TH JUNE at 7:00PM for our sparkling double bill. An evening suitable for everyone - light touch opera: beautiful music and lots of fun! Enjoy refreshments in the interval as well.

Tickets will cost £20 (£15 for under-18s). 
Available online HERE
Or in South Molton, from The Amory Centre, or John Walker Insurance (both cash/cheque purchases only)

Most, but not all, seats have good sightlines. They will be allocated on a first come first served basis. Doors will open at 6:00PM.

Date:

30.06.18

Language:
German
Captions:
English
Running Time:
2 hours (includes 20-min interval)

Review:

"What I like most about the company is its total respect for the work."

Opera Now

[Read full article here]

Venue Information

Venue Description:

South Molton has been a thriving market town since the earliest days of recorded history. The town originated around the church, and in the Middle Ages a new market place was laid around it. The ancient church of St Mary Magdalene still dominates the market town, and its tower is clearly visible around the town.

The Doomsday Book of 1086, showed the surprisingly large number of 4 priests here, indicating the importance of the town. And in 1311 Bishop Walter de Stapledon is recorded as having ordained 185 priests in South Molton!

The town’s early wealth came from the wool trade, which died away by the 18th and 19th centuries. Yet South Molton's role as a market town, serving this area of North Devon, saw the town flourish. By 1841 the census recorded a population of 4,274 and The Town Hall and Assembly Rooms were built, and schools were opened.

By 1534 a Suffragan Bishop of Molton was created, with his seat located in South Molton. This was one of the very first assistant bishop posts and shows the town's significance. A few years later, the introduction of new dioceses saw an end to this elevated status, yet the town has continued to have an important religious standing. 

Links between the church and the school continue today through the South Molton United C of E Primary School. It has recently moved to a brand-new site and expanded, enrolling younger children, and goes from strength to strength.



Facilities:
  • Car Parking in the Pannier Market EX36 3AB
  • Toilets outside
  • Refreshments
  • 20 Minute Interval

Cast & Crew